Thursday, May 14, 2009

Shine, Til The End, For Someone....



So here is how three incredible musicians changed my life and the amazing things I discovered about myself. In a previous post, I wrote about a singer/songwriter named Jake Walden. Since the first time I heard Jake's raw, emotion-filled voice something in me changed. The words he wrote, the music he composed, the passion he sang with, the bravery he showed, his soul he shared, ignited something in me. It ignited every hope I had for myself of being able to create words that would somehow touch anothers life. It ignited the desire I've had in me to allow myself to be who I am and who I want to become. It ignited a change in me that I knew was something true, something special, something real.
When Jake left a message on my blog, I felt like someone special to someone who got who I am. Never did I think I would ever meet him. That all changed in a matter of hours. I wrote a post about that too. After I met him, it was pretty amazing. April finally got closer and I grew anxious and nervous about seeing him again. I had kept in contact with him through facebook and myspace. I even got to know his Aunt Lori and Aunt Heather better through emails. They are such wonderful people. His birthday was one of the nights he was performing in Oregon and I really wanted to go. I wanted to give him a special gift. His aunts also sent a birthday card for him for me to deliver to him! It was quite an honor.
So the tour Jake has been on is called Rock The Folk OUT. He is traveling with 2 other artists. Stewart Lewis and Tom Goss. The three of them have a real chemistry and can put on quite a show. I was able to attend a few shows...

April 27, 2009 Seattle, Washington: The first night I was able to go see them was in Seattle. This was such an amazing evening. We got to the Jewelbox Theater and waited in line. I peeked around the line and caught Jake's eye. He came over and gave me a big hug and kiss. He is such a sweetie! I introduced him to Laura and we talked for a minute, then he had to go get set up. I was finally able to meet Cheri! She is such a sweetheart. We got into the theater and sat down right in front. I went out and met Tom Goss and Stewart Lewis. These guys are amazing! The show started off with Jake singing. Oh my it was so good to hear his voice LIVE again, something in his voice just comes across so strongly when you are sitting right there with him. He did a few songs. Then Stewart Lewis got up and sang. Stewart is such a character and I love his smile. You can't help but smile when he smiles. He is definitely a treat to see live! Tom Goss sang next and it was so beautiful. I couldn't wait to hear what he was going to sing next. They all got up and sang together and it was so beautiful. I know that for Cheri it will be a night she won't forget! After the show we were all able to hang out and talk. It was so wonderful. I didn't want it to end. There was a very good vibe and the guys did great. I took a lot of pictures...



April 28, 2009 Portland, Oregon: This show I was a little more nervous. I went to Portland by myself. I have to say it was an intense show. I was able to meet another one of Jake's aunts and two of his cousins. They all were so nice. The show went beautifully. Jake started out. He sang some of my favorites. It was so so perfect. Stewart sang next and still wowed me with his charm and made me feel so happy. Tom came next and he was so into the music. At some times I felt as if I was the only one in the room with them. I was able to hang out for a little while after everyone had left...Tom and Jake had to wait for Stewart to come back with the keys. I couldn't have asked for anything better. I was able to talk more personally with Jake and Tom. These men have such beautiful souls. I felt so lucky to be a part of that night. Of course, more pictures....




April 29, 2009 Eugene, Oregon: This was an especially special night. For a few reasons...1) My last night seeing them for a whole week...I know how could I stand it??...and 2) Jake's birthday!
What an incredible night for me! The show was so spectacular. I can tell you that during Jake's entire set, I felt like he and I were the only ones there. I feel so lucky to be able to have been at this show (and all the other ones too!). Stewart was again his charming self. I freakin' love Stewart. You rock! Tom did so amazing. I loved every minute of it! All three of the guys got up to do their closer song, a cover of Coldplay's "Yellow", but then Stewart started singing about me...yes, me! How spectacular it was. Jake and Tom started to sing with Stewart and they did an impromptu three part harmony song on the spot about me! It was truly a magical moment that I will never forget. Thank you, thank you boys for that moment. After the guys were done, I had just a little time to sit with Jake and give him his birthday gifts. Before the show I was able to give Jake his card from his Aunts. He was surprised! What an honor to be able to give him something special from his Aunts when he was on the road. Laura and I put together a Road Trip Essentials Kit! It contained things from chap stick to Zicam. All the little things that come in handy, plus a crossword puzzle book and a trivia game. I was so nervous for the next present...It was something that was special to me and I hoped that Jake would love it. He opened it and I think by his reaction he loved it. I loved being able to see his face when he saw it. It was a moment that I won't ever forget. It turned out to be a very wonderful night and I was a little sad that I wasn't going to be at some of the shows until May. I survived though! I had created a bond with these three men and I hope that they know how much all of them mean to me. Truly a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. Of course again I have more pictures....
















May 10, 2009 Tempe, Arizona: I have to say that I am completely lucky that I have been able to meet and hang out with the guys from Rock The Folk OUT Tour 2009. This Sunday evening was so laid back and just a good time. I laughed and cried and felt adored. Julia, Jake's cousin, was able to be there that night and it was so good to see her again. I had met her in Vegas back in February. I also got to meet Tom's partner Mike. He is so nice. As before, the music was so beautiful. I loved every minutes of it. I loved singing along with the guys. Tom sat right by me when the other guys were playing. Jake sat just behind me when the other guys were playing too. It was so nice. I felt so lucky to have become friends with the guys. As always they made me feel so comfortable and beautiful. They did a remix version of the Brenda song...B R E N D A spells Brenda...so incredible. I was able to spend a little more time with Jake again and talk some more. He is such a beautiful person and he has so much inside, and gives so much. What an inspiration he has been to me. Of course there were more pictures...I am sure I drove those boys crazy with all the pictures I have taken...but you know me I am picture taker...I love photography and the memories they hold for me.



May 13, 2009 Tucson, Arizona: Wow I have so many thoughts in my mind right now. Tonight was something special, more than I could have ever imagined. The emotion, the love, the friendship, the support, the sad and the happy...all of it, all the small looks, the winks, the smiles, the songs and the words shared...a connection of pure honesty and love amongst the people in the room. All brought together through the strength and magic of music. You could hear a pin drop as the piano was played and the songs were sung, as the strumming of the guitar and message of the songs. Each would feel it in their own way, an interpretation of words meshed beautifully with notes. The bittersweet end of an adventure for those who experienced it, in whatever way, at one show or five, through the words of friends far and wide, through the eyes of strangers who became friends. Many, many moments so deep and personal, many moments of laughter and joy, and moments of sadness and despair. This will forever, for me, be a passageway to the hopes and dreams I long to accomplish. A time in my life that was truly a life changing collection of moments...a time of growth and hope, of love and appreciation, of admiration and gratitude. From Tom the beauty of deep and lasting true love. From Stewart the happiness and shining moments of music, oh that smile of his. From Jake the bravery and vulnerability to be who you are, with no fear. So much from Jake...the confidence to follow your heart and dreams...so so much from Jake. What a way to end the tour...to close this chapter and take the moments into ourselves and learn, grow and find a piece of who we are. I truly am grateful to all those who have touched my life. I will never be able to show enough thanks, there is so so much. I wanted to describe each and every moment, but some of those are meant just for those involved. For me in this moment when it has come to a close, I know that it is just the beginning for so many things. I love the people I have met and I love the times that were shared. I have no more words, except in the words of Jake, "be you"

1 comment:

Rike said...

Thank you - for all you shared. Made me feel like I was there, too. I would love to have my own experiences ;-) Oh well, I have just by listening to him - but of course it's different by meeting him in 'real life'.

And as long as that may take, the things you shared are really much appreciated.

Thank you so much...

Hugs
Rike