So now that your breathing and heart-rate are back to normal, here is my blog. Recently one of my dreams has come true. I got a book. It's not just a normal, oh this looks like a fun read, I think I will get it, book. It, folks, is something that has always held a special place in my heart book, that I have been hunting down forever. Okay, not forever, but for a very long time. (I bet you are thinking to yourself..."self, tell me the title of the book already!") Well I will do one better...here is the cover, so you can see it in all it's glory and wonder a bit why I think it it is so awesome!

This is "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank.
This book came into my life in high school, in my literature class. This is the cover I remember from school. I read this book in 11th grade, and has always been a favorite of mine. You can ask Laura, every now and again I would go crazy looking for it at Libraries, on the Internet, and book stores. For some reason it was always "checked out", or they had to order it, and we all know with my welfare status, I certainly could never afford it.
So finally after 13 years of yearning, I OWN a copy. I received it just a few days ago, and with the new cover, it was the perfect scene to bring all the memories of what the book holds. It is perfect.

You may be asking yourselves, "Why is this book so great?" Well let me tell you. There are many reasons why I love this book so much.
1) How the human spirit can survive and adapt.
"You can survive if you are ready and willing to adapt."- Wikipedia
2) Hope and inspiration from our fellow men and women in times of need.
3) The "...Real picture of human beings numbed by catastrophe but still driven by the unconquerable determination of living creatures to keep n being alive"-The New Yorker
4) "...a sense of privilege. Only the very fortunate get to struggle. Only the living may improve. Whatever events had us feeling especially low, we might look to dark imaginings...and tell ourselves--it could be a lot worse."-David Brin.
All of these people sum it up more eloquently than I could ever do. I also love how in detail the author gets in describing essential needs food, water, gas, medicines, and everyday necessities that we take for granted. Things that we don't think about or don't really appreciate until they are gone, or about to be taken from us.
It makes me think of our leaders in the church, who, for as long as I can remember, have always encouraged us to have an adequate food supply and necessities on hand...to stock up throughout the years and to update them in case of some type of catastrophe. Whether it be caused by nature or human. We should all be prepared and continue preparing.
So there you go folks...that is why I love the book "Alas, Babylon". I know that this isn't the most entertaining blog ever...but hopefully it will get people thinking and hoping that when and if something horrible happens, we can band together as families, friends, communities and humans and survive.




1 comment:
ALAS YOU FOUND THE DANG THING!! And you are welcome!
Post a Comment